Skip to main content

My Effort and Involvement in ENG-114

My first thought when I attended this class was I was going to suffer. The reason why? English is not really my best subject and I struggled a lot in some of my English classes in high school. I lacked in creating a strong thesis, run-on sentences, embedding quotes, and sometimes having trouble expressing my thoughts through words. I had a lack of confidence because I thought my writing was terrible.

Surprisingly, when I worked on the assignments in this class, I saw my potential and strength in my writing. Every time I submitted an assignment, I would always be cautious and scared of what my peers or instructor would say about my work. But, they left positive comments about my writing and how powerful or good it was. To me, I was shocked because I didn’t believe how impactful my writing could be. Honestly, the comments made me more motivated and lifted my confidence in my level of writing. In Norton’s assignments, it helped me realize my strength, potential, and my skills. 
double-entry notes
Writing Project

In the first project, The Writing Project, I recognized my obstacles and challenges in my life that have made me be in this position today and it makes me very proud of being here. In the Purpose Project, it has definitely opened up my creative side which I never thought I have because I’m not a very creative person myself. I expressed my ideas by mentioning my dreams, my idol and what I want to do to change this world. During this project, it has improved my research and writing skills by following along with the prompt and not to go off-topic. I also learned about how to draw attention while writing a cover letter. This will help me when I apply for a job or for an internship later on in my life. And importantly, the Inquiry Project has made me become more aware and appreciative of my culture. The research has benefited my knowledge about my family’s history and strengthened my way of writing in a review to persuade and try to give some knowledge to the audience. Overall, the research, inquiry, reading, and writing in these few projects has strengthened my different parts of writing.

During this semester, I attended class almost everyday and I learned about many things which I will use in next semester at ENG-216. I will continue to use my skill of time management because I mostly submit my assignments on time or sometimes a little early which is very beneficial. Whenever I’m reading an article or essay, I will use double-entry notes since it helps me cite quotes and express my ideas or reaction towards it. And it makes me more organized to benefit my knowledge of reading and noting phrases. Also, I will use the technique of annotating and highlighting because it helps me understand more of what I’m reading and it gives me a clear understanding of the prompt or topic. I hope in my next English class, I will become better in my writing of thesis and embedding quotes if there is a prompt about a novel or book. And I hope I will notice run-on sentences easily on the dot.

What I want to teach to the campus of San Francisco State University is the history of the Secret War. My culture is very important to me and I feel that everybody should know about the devastating historical moment that has happened in my family’s native country. Because of the lack of this part of history being known, I would post on social media and create posters of my class and what it will consist of. My presentations would be about the history of the war from beginning to end and the students would have to take notes on it. The quizzes would have a small amount of questions just to make sure the students have the knowledge about the years, the people involved, and also the countries involved. The field trips would be visiting a museum that has the artifacts from the war and a description behind them about when and what they were used for. The projects would require creating a presentation about their research on someone who has been in the Secret War. They will need to include their history, what they have faced, and what has changed in their life. The reason why is because everyone can hear their stories in this traumatic and violent moment in history. It makes their stories become HEARD.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review of "The Hmong and the Secret War"

Map of Laos, Thailand, Vietnam, and Cambodia Vang Pao, the general of the Lao Army In this review of “The Hmong and the Secret War” published by PBS (Public Broadcasting Service). There are a few things I want to inform the audience beforehand. The word “communism” means a belief of economic equality by eliminating all private properties and providing equal shares to everybody. A small country called Laos is located in Southern Asia and is between Vietnam and Thailand. And China above them. There are several minority groups in Laos such as Tai Dam (Tie Duhm), Iu Mien (Meihn), Hmong (Mong), Khmer, and more . The CIA stands for Central Intelligence Agency. The audience are those who have watched or is watching the documentary, no matter who it is. And those who want to be informed about this hidden historical moment in Laos. The audience who will watch the documentary will leave them with shock, information they have never knew about, change the perspective of America and possi